Maa Durga idol is considered in complete without the sand from a prostitute land. Why?
The worst affected section of society is of sex-workers, all their lives they are attributed with slangs. But during Navratra, people throng at their doorsteps begging for some soil to prepare Maa Durga Idols in Kolkata. No one knows the exact reason why it started.
According to Hindu rituals, four things are of utmost importance to prepare the Maa Durga idol:
- Mud from the banks of the Ganga
- Cow urine
- Cow dung
- Soil from a prostitute’s land or Nishiddho Pallis (forbidden terrorities).
The mixture of all four is used to make Maa Durga idol. The idol is considered incomplete without the sand from a prostitute land (Punya Maati). The priest of the temple has to beg at the doorstep of brothel or sex-worker’s home, for some mud for the Durga Maa idol. Even if she says No, he has to beg for it. Isn’t it strange?
To find out why Maa Durga idol is considered in complete without the sand from a prostitute land, I have spoken to some of my Bengali friends and came out with four reasons to follow this strange ritual.
1. Firstly, it is believed that the sand from the prostitute’s land is the purest because it beholds the virtue and purity of those who visited the place. It is believed that when a man visits a prostitute, he leaves behind his purity and virtue on her doorstep. So, all the pureness gets accumulated outside her house.
2. Secondly, it is believed that during the fatal fight between Maa Durga and Mahishasur, he tried to molest her dignity. Angered by this disgrace, she used all her power and rage to destroy Mahishasur, who looked down upon women. So, the sand outside a brothel is treated as a respect to that woman, who has been humiliated by the society.
3. According to the Hindu priest, the path they have chosen to live their life is a sin in itself. So, for that reason, using the soil from their land purifies their soul. Also, when they hand over the soil to the priest and repeat the mantras enchanted by the priest, their souls are believed to be purified.
4. It is believed that this one auspicious occasion bring them under one umbrella as devotees of god and are included in the society.
During this point , they’re well-treated and welcomed to all or any religious Durga pandals. Unlike the rest of the years, when they are ill-treated by the same society.
The ritual has been observed for many years and no-one has been able to trace it back to its origin.
We know this is very strange but people from kolkata belives in Maa Durga idol is considered in complete without the sand from a prostitute landrituals.
We have an another wonderfull article of Lord Shiva – 10 Qualities you definetly need to inherit from Lord Shiva.