20 Curious things you should know about Charlie Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin one of the much-beloved actor with a lively personality and endless talent. We all know the fact that he became a towering figure with his character of ‘Little Tramp’. He was one of the best actors and directors of the silent era. Apart from this, there are many curious things about charlie chaplin which you should know about him.
let’s see here 20 curious things about Charlie Chaplin:
1. Charlie Chaplin is the best example of rags to riches. At the age of seven, he was sent to the workhouse. His childhood was full of poverty and hardships.
2. His mother was mentally sick because of which she was admitted in the mental asylum. It was after he along with his brother went to live with their father, an alcoholic.
3. He abandoned his study and with the help of his father, he became a member of ‘Eight Lancashire Lads clog-dancing’ troupe, who toured the music hall of Great Britain.
4. His first role as a newsboy in H.A Saintsbury’s ‘Jim a Romance of Cockayne’.
5. His performance was well appreciated as Billy the pageboy in Charles Frohman’s production ‘Sherlock Holmes’.
6. Chaplin was criticized by the British media for not participating in the First World War. He was not invited by the British or the American government.
7. In September 1918, he secretly married a 17-year-old actress Mildred Harris, when he came to know about her pregnancy.
8. In October 1940, he released the most awaited movie of the year, ‘The Great Dictator in which he played the dual role and used spoken dialogue in the film for the first time.
9. Charlie Chaplin was offered an Honorary Award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 1972. He returned to America after twenty years to receive the award and received 12-minute standing ovation.
10. There is an asteroid named after Charlie Chaplin – the 3626 Chaplin. It sits in the asteroid belt found in between Venus and Mars.
11. He was a big fan of tennis and even played the sport until he was in his 70s.
12. Charlie Chaplin openly pleaded against fascism, war, capitalism, and WMDs in all his movies.
13. The X-Files episode ‘Home’ was based on a story from Charlie Chaplin’s autobiography in which a family introduced him to their quadruple amputee son by pulling him out from under a bed after which he “flopped around” while they sang and danced.
14. Charlie Chaplin remarked Einstein, “The people applaud me because everybody understands me, and they applaud you because no one understands you.”
15. During his time, he became richer than the president of the United States. Charlie Chaplin was paid $10,000 a week.
16. Despite having lived in the United States for almost 40 years, he never became the citizen of US.
17. Charlie Chaplin had a total of 11 children from 4 wives. He was 73 years old when his youngest son was born.
18. His daughter Geraldine Chaplin portrayed the role of her grandmother Hannah Chaplin in the movie Chaplin, the adaption of the actor’s life in the year 1992.
19. Charlie Chaplin died at the age of 88 on December 25, 1977. He died at home after suffering a stroke in his sleep.
20. His coffin was dug out and stolen. His widow refused to pay ransom demands of £400,000 because “Charlie would have thought it ridiculous.” The body was found 11 weeks later.
We know you enjoyed our this article – 20 Curious things you should know about Charlie Chaplin.
Guys, We have an another wonderfull article related to movie industry – 20 Interesting facts about Hollywood, we know you will surely love this.