17 less known facts about Xiaomi you need to know
We have seen the tremendous revolution in mobile phones from Nokia to Samsung to Apple. No doubt many new brands came and succeeded in creating a name of their own. But, one cannot deny the fact that the Xiaomi success is due to its affordable price and best features.
They don’t have a long history. Just started off in 2010 and quickly became popular worldwide.
Here are 17 less known facts about Xiaomi you need to know:
1. Xiaomi was founded in 2010 by the serial entrepreneur Lei Jun who believed that high-quality technology doesn’t cost a fortune.
2. Xiaomi literally means Millet and Rice according to Buddhist concept. It wants to start from little things before aiming for the top.
3. It is considered as China’s Apple. Most of its designs resemble Apple in its elegance, simplicity, and minimalism. It also evokes a similar kind of fervor in China as Apple does in the US.
4. Xiaomi’s mascot is a bunny called Mitu who wears an Ushanka (Lei Feng hat). That’s why MI bunny cap has a red star with a red scarf around its neck.
5. Except for China, it doesn’t own a single physical store in any parts of the world. It’s selling its products online everywhere which help them reduce some additional cost to maintain that affordable price tag.
6. Xiaomi does not use any traditional channels of advertising. They do not support endorsements of any kind for their fame.
7. Can you imagine? Xiaomi sold 15,000 Mi3 smartphones in just two seconds in India. Xiaomi Mi3 was considered as the world’s fastest smartphone at that time of its release.
8. It broke the Guinness world record by selling 2.1 million smartphones in just one day.
9. Do you know? Three of the top nine leadership positions in Xiaomi are occupied by ex-Googlers.
10. Xiaomi’s cameras have built-in technology to make you look more attractive.
11. Xiaomi has its international office at Singapore believing in the quality of feedback from Singapore on its phones and services.
12. Xiaomi’s logo has a hidden word inside of it. It can be found when you turn the logo upside down. It resembles a Chinese character “心 which means “heart” in English, that is the major facts about xiaomi.
13. Xiaomi tried to link Chinese characters with Latin characters since in reverse; the Chinese symbol for “Mi” looks a lot like the character that means “heart”.
14. Xiaomi succeeded in surpassing Uber to become the world’s most valuable start-up with a value of $46 billion.
15. It continues to grow and currently employs more than 8000 employees.
16. In 2013 it succeeded in poaching Hugo Barra, former product manager for Google (and Android development manager) to be its vice-president.
17. In 2014, Xiaomi welcomed one of the three Apple founders, Steve Wozniak. According to him, the company has “excellent products” that “good enough to break the American market”.
Thanks for reading our blog about facts about xiaomi.
Also read our another blogs about 8 Unknown facts about Infosys.