20 must known facts about Hinduism
Hinduism followed blindly by the majority of Indians covers more than 84% of the total population. And why shouldn’t it be? It is the largest religion in India. And did you know, Hinduism is not technically a religion? Did you know this? Well, I don’t think so.
Just like this, here are 20 facts that may surprise you about Hinduism:
1. Hinduism is the oldest and the everlasting religion in this world. It is also known as Santana Dharma which means an everlasting religion.
2. The word Hindu is a Persian term meaning “river”. It was given to the people living near to Indus River valley.
3. It has no founder. Nobody knows and want to know who founded Hinduism.
4. Hinduism is the 3rd largest religion in the world after Christianity and Islam.
5. The Rig Veda is the oldest known book in the world. It was written more than 3800 years ago
6. The ideas of decimal and other mathematical equations were created by Hindus.
7. The Kumbha Mela, a spiritual gathering of all types every 3 years, is the largest gathering of human beings in the world.
8. Shaiva, Shakti, and Vaishnav are three major sects in this religion.
9. 4 main life-goals of Hinduism are Dharma (righteousness), Artha (means of money), Kama (right desire), and Moksha (salvation).
10. 108 is the sacred number in Hinduism. This is why malas and garlands have 108 beads. 108 is the ratio of the sun and the moon’s distance from the Earth.
11. Both male and female deities are worshiped with equal reverence.
12. Om is believed to be the manifestation of consciousness in sound form.
13. Buddhism and Sikhism both derived from Hinduism.
14. There are 108,000 recognized temples in India.
15. The worlds tallest Subramanya Swamy statue is in Malaysia.
16. There are Bigger Percentage of Hindus in Pakistan(1.8%) than in USA (0.7%).
17. Top 5 Countries with Hindu Population are
1. Nepal 81.3%
2. India 80.5%
3. Mauritius 54%
4. Fiji 33.7%
5. Guyana 28%
18. The largest Hindu temple in the world is surprisingly not in India but is in Angkor, Cambodia.
19. Nepal ( 81.3 %), is almost a Hindu Country with a higher Hindu percentage population than in India( 80.5 %).
20. Nepal was formed by a Hindu saint called Ne Muni.
Amazing isn’t it? So after, reading this article you get to know a lot more about Hinduism.